As a dad, there are lots of things you can do to feel closer to your baby. Check out these tips!
1. Get close Get up close to your new arrival! Your newborn can only see to a distance of about 20cm. So the closer you put your face to him, the easier it is for him to recognise you.
2. Get talking It's never too early to start talking to your baby. She may recognise your voice from the time she spent listening to you and your partner in the womb (uterus)! Try telling her a story or singing your favourite song.
3. Get smiling! Mums build a bond through eye contact and facial expressions. You can do the same! When your baby is around two months old, he may reward you with a smile!
4. Try massage If you massage your baby, you are more likely to feel closer to her. Your baby will also enjoy it, and will respond more to your attention afterwards. Massage classes are a great place to start. Go gently though, some babies are more ticklish than others!
5. Get involved Helping with daily baby care will give you extra bonding time. Bathtime is a perfect opportunity for you to get some hands-on experience.
6. Be a feeding partner Feeds offer precious bonding time. Once breastfeeding is established at around six weeks, you can take a turn by feeding your baby expressed milk and give your partner a break! Before then, you can give a helping hand by giving your partner drinks and snacks while she breastfeeds.
7. Be playful Blowing raspberries, tickling and baby bouncing will all help with the bonding process!
8. Take over sometimes By looking after your grumpy baby, you can learn how to comfort him. This will boost your confidence and help you get to know your baby better.
9. Make a new routine
If you go back to work, it can be hard to fit in bonding time. Creating a routine can help. Taking your baby for a stroll in the pram after work, or sitting with her in the evening to have a cuddle and talk about your day, are lovely ways to unwind.
10. Take photos!You can put photos on your desk or in your wallet, or put it as a screensaver on your phone or laptop. It's an instant reminder of your baby whenever you're apart.
11. Get cuddling! All dads should give this a go - nothing beats a cuddle. A few minutes every day snuggled up together will really help you to bond with your baby. Breathe in that baby smell!You might also like