Setting up a successful baby napping schedule can be challenging for a new mum. But it can be achieved by overcoming the various sleep interruptions waking up your child through the night.
Here are some of the tips:
• Wet nappy : A leaking nappy could be a major problem for a newborn. Leaks mean a wet and cranky baby, who may wake up several times through the night. So look for a high-quality nappy which can keep him dry throughout the night.
• Hungry baby : A baby that has been put to bed without a feed can also get extremely cranky and this could lead to disruption of his night sleep. So try to keep the baby awake when you are giving him his last feed and then swaddle or sing to him so he can rest easy.
• Overtired baby: All babies have a window of time to sleep and if you happen to miss one, they can get overtired. So if you notice any of the obvious signals to sleep like rubbing of eyes, fuzziness or laying their head down, lay them to bed immediately.
• Noisy house : If your house is usually noisy, it could be a problem for the baby, but so can silence. So try to maintain a little bit of background noise to ease the baby into his napping schedule. You can also avoid running to them each time they wake up in the middle of the night, this way they can learn to put themselves back to sleep on their own.
• Waking up at a different place : Your child may feel that they are waking up at a different place every time (they wake up) and would need to see your face to orient themselves. So maintain a bedtime routine where the baby sleeps and wakes up at the same place and is able to see you.
Deepshikha Punj. How to help your baby sleep through the night without interruptions. The Asian Parent Singapore Online. [cited No Date]; [1 screen]. Available at URL: http://sg.theasianparent.com/help-baby-sleep-night-without-interruptions/